B&B

Backings and bindings were on my to-do list this past week.  I got most of them done, I had to order more 108″ backing fabric for one top, but things are getting done.  I experimented with extra wide binding too.  I cut the binding at 5 inches wide, folded it in half and sewed it to the backside of the quilt at ½” in.  Then flipped it to the front and sewed it down with a generous 1″ showing.  This is a large quilt and the grey frames it nicely.  Got the Red and White SAS bound as well as the Christmas pinwheel, just used 2 ½” binding for them.

I got started on the Jaybird Quilt pattern called Sprinkles.  I cut the pieces and got the sub-pieces together, and yesterday I put the hex shapes up on the wall to make sure all the colors looked randomly placed.  This is an easy quilt top to piece and is made from 2 ½” strips and one 4 ½” background color strip for the side setting triangles. I added one row because my top didn’t have enough yellow.  Adding the row allowed me to add 15 pieces of yellow.    I’d like to try a larger version, maybe use 3 ½ or 4 ½ inch strips for the diamond pieces.

img_2190

It doesn’t look like much, but I feel like I accomplished a bit this week.

Linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday today.

Advertisements