Monday I finished putting the two DayBreak tops together and thought I would grab a scrap container/bin and see what I could find.
I don’t have an “after” picture yet, but here’s the before. I didn’t realize how many strings I have, three quarters of this pile is string-y. I was wondering where all these came from, then I remember going through this bin to get scraps for two Bonnie Hunter mystery quilts. The smallest sizes for those quilts are around two inches, so everything that is in here is between 3/4 and 2 inches wide. I think I am going to make a string quilt, starting with 6 ½ papers, scrappy. I managed to cut some squares and HSTs out of this mess too. Check out the great quilts at Confessions of a Fabric Addict that Sarah has made with her green scrap bin.
Tuesday the handyman I hired came by to create my sewing table. He was very nice while I was explaining what I needed done, didn’t laugh once. The conference table is in my garage for the moment, so he worked on it there. It took about two hours, it probably would have been a bit less if I had measured my machine a bit better. There is a slight bow out in the back panel which makes the machines foot print about ½ inch wider than the actual rectangle bottom. The table is quite thick, about an inch and a half thick, with heavy duty legs, not your everyday conference table seen in hotels. I’m going to lightly sand it down and give it a flat black paint finish. I have been wavering on sewing room wall colors, I found a nice periwinkle blue, but my daughter pointed out that there are already 4 blue rooms in the house. I’m thinking blue-green-teal now. I saw one yesterday while at the hardware store. I forgot to grab the color swatch before I left, I have to go by there today so I can stop in.
This weekend I signed up for a two day embroidery class using Anita Gooddesign’s designs. Machines and lunch are provided. Should be fun, I haven’t been embroidering much these days I think I need a push in that creative direction.