Make it fit

Or maybe I should say make it TO fit.  I finished the borders on my Storm at Sea quilt.  There probably is an easier way, but I managed to make it come out right.  First I chose a border, thinking that if I used all the same sized blocks, it could be made to fit the length and width of my rectangular top.  So I measured and made the first side border and attached it to a short side.  Made up the next, a long side, to see if it would fit, according to my faulty measurements it should have.  Nope.  Too short.  Figured out that adding a 1 and 1/8th inch red strip would make it fit.  I then took borders off and added strip, and resewed the pieced borders on, still not fitting.  Decided to add corner blocks, still not helping much, the long sides were short by about 1 1/4 inch in length.  So I decided to split the long side into two equal lengths, removing one section of the chain block and make up a different block for its center.  I paper pieced two Square in a Square blocks that were 4 ½ by 5 inches. Yay! Improv piecing at its best.

IMG_1246

I probably should have used EQ7 to figure out all this, certainly would have been easier and a whole lot less un-sewing involved.  I have it installed on an old Windows XP computer, but since I got my MacBook, I just have a hard time using a PC.  I know that there are programs to run EQ on macs, I had one, but it always crashed and the control commands were wonky.  I just can’t bring my self to buy the mac version either, as I already bought the program once.   Logical, I know.

Here are a few pictures of the Moda Building blocks quilt.  Its coming along.

IMG_1243 IMG_1244 IMG_1242

Linking up with Sarah at for Can I get a Whoop Whoop Friday and Crazy Mom quilts Finish it up Friday this week.

Advertisements

14 thoughts on “Make it fit

  1. Sandra B says:

    What a beautiful quilt! I love red and white quilts, and love Storm at Sea….combining the two into one…a Win-Win!!!
    Thanks for sharing!

Comments are closed.